Outline chronology

1863
The Acclimatisation Society of Queensland was established, and granted 32 acres of land at Bowen Hills—the Old Museum Building was later built on part of this land.
1876
First Brisbane Exhibition Building was opened by the National Agricultural and Industrial Association, on land leased from the Acclimatisation Society. The Brisbane Intercolonial Exhibition was held.
1881
Land was resumed for construction of the Sandgate railway line.
1888
The first Exhibition Building was destroyed by fire. The architect G H M Addison won the design competition for a new building
1891
The new Exhibition Building (Old Museum Building) was constructed, with an exhibition hall and a concert hall.
1892
Concert hall organ was installed
1897
Queensland International Exhibition was held. The Queensland Government took over the Exhibition Building from the National Agricultural and Industrial Association.
1899
Work began on converting the exhibition hall to accommodate the Queensland Museum.
1901
Queensland Museum at Bowen Hills opened to the public.
1930
New Brisbane City Hall opened, with the organ from the Old Museum Building installed in the auditorium. The concert hall at Bowen Hills was converted to accommodate the Art Gallery.
1974
The Art Gallery moved out, and their space was taken over by the Queensland Museum staff

Links

Old Museum venue

Queensland Heritage Register entry

Wikipedia article

Conservation management plan